Monday, September 29, 2008

For the Beauty of the Earth


Today I watched and listened as an older gentleman gave thanks for the beauty of the earth. More specifically the flowers in his garden. I was touched that this seemingly tough old farmer took time to be grateful for what most people take for granted. He had prayed over his garden and then given thanks for it's beauty. I have been caught up in the last week with the worries I keep close, the loss of two children moving out at the same time to attend college, the loneliness of my home. I saw how ungrateful my heart had so quickly grown. As I pulled into my driveway I took time to notice the few flowers that were left blooming, and realized how beautiful each one was. I took time to contemplate that truly my children were becoming better people and out hopefully making the world a better place. They too are blooming in most beautiful and magical ways. My husband still tells me daily how beautiful I am, delusional as he obviously is, it still means the world to me. My heart began to heal and beauty again surrounded my little piece of the world. How thankful I am for the time this man took to remind me to be grateful. Not just for the things I want and pray for but for everything.

No comments: