Monday, September 22, 2008

The Value of Cracked Porcelain


Many years ago I was sitting in a friends living room, I noticed a beautiful porcelain figurine sitting on her fireplace. I mentioned to her how much I liked it. She sat up and said, "That has an interesting story behind it! When my children were little they were in this very room playing, I was in the kitchen or busy somewhere when I heard a loud bang and the sound of breaking glass. I ran in to find my little boy huddled over the broken figurine, already crying and trying to pick up the pieces."
Of course I thought the next words out of her mouth would be the scolding she gave him as she sent him off to his room so that she could repair the beloved figurine. But instead one of the greatest lessons I ever learned was given to me. She said when she saw her little boy, in his heartbroken state, she scooped him up and wiped way his tears. Telling him that the figurine meant nothing to her, just something to keep dust off that spot on the mantle. She asked him if he would like to help her try to repair it. Together they pieced the priceless figurine back together and the next day placed it back to continue it's duty of keeping that spot on the mantle dust free. But she vowed in her heart at the very moment she saw the tears on her most priceless gift, her son, that she would never have anything in her home that held more value than her children. I got up to look at the figurine more closely, the cracks were clearly visible, but they were not sad for her, they brought her joy as they reminded her of what was important. I love you Sister Saunders!
Sunday, September 7, 2008

1 comment:

tim said...

I had the opposite happen to me. I met someone who treasured everything above those around her. It's hard to take these lessons, really see them, and apply into our lives. I think you did a very good job of that with this.