Monday, September 29, 2008

Forget Yourself!




As I sat in her living room, mesmerized by her beauty, I realized this is who I wanted to become. She was in her 80's, but had aged so gracefully. She may have not been beautiful in the worlds view, but she had without a doubt her maker's image engraven upon her face. Sister Saunders, who had taught me the value of broken porcelain was about to give me another life changing lesson.
Ironically it was my calling to visit her, to help and nourish her, but it was me who was nourished. I always left a better person for the visit. The lesson I was giving that day was about overcoming trials. "Oh I have had my share of heartache", her voice cracked with emotion, "but I never dwell on it. If I find myself feeling sorry for myself I pick myself up and go right in to my kitchen and bake a cake. Then I pray to be guided to take it to someone who needs to know someone cares!" I don't know how many cakes went out of that kitchen, it is recorded in heaven and really doesn't matter to me. What mattered to me was that she was gently telling me to forget myself and get up and go help someone who really needed it. I do not have a talent with cakes, but I am not bad at cupcakes or cookies and try to carry on Sister Saunder's tradition, plus, I always let myself lick the spoon!
President Faust said, "It is generally good medicine to sympathize with others, but not with yourself."

No comments: